So you see the problem and want to help? That’s great. Nothing we do here will make a difference unless people take the MESSAGE out into their games and their lives.
So What Can You Do?
The most important thing to do is to show you’ve got the MESSAGE and help spread the MESSAGE to others. Here’s some ways to do that:
- Like us on Facebook, then share and comment on our statuses. Follow us on Twitter. Talk about us on Google+ and Tumblr.
- Register your store, company, convention, product, club or event as having Got The MESSAGE and we’ll support you in turn!
- Support companies, events and products that proudly support the MESSAGE.
- Head over to the Downloads page and download an avatar and a webbanner, and use them wherever you surf the web – and especially wherever you play games.
- Head over to the Merch page and order badges, stickers, t-shirts, whatever you like. Be sure to wear them whenever and wherever you game!
- Send money! Running the The MESSAGE is not cost free and we need your help to keep doing it. You can donate via PayPal to email@example.com
- When people ask you about the MESSAGE, tell them! Or send them our way!
Set The Example
As the Dalai Lama says, we must be the change we want to be in the world. Remember to always treat your fellow gamers with respect, whatever their gender, race or religious persusaion. Listen to women, especially if they are trying to raise an issue. Moderate your behaviour when asked. Go out of your way to make gaming environments safe and welcoming to women. Seek out women and encourage them to game, with you or with others.
Don’t try to speak for women. Figure out what offends you, and speak out about that. Encourage your fellow gamers to act with a higher standard, and call them out when they don’t. Encourage your forums, game stores and conventions to support inclusion, express that inclusion through signage and registering and don’t patronise them if they don’t. Vote with your dollars by buying games that are welcoming to women, and don’t buy games that are hostile. It’s simple stuff, but if we all do it, we can change the whole temperament of the hobby.